Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Testing qemu

The goal is to run ARM software on a Linux PC.
I download the latest qemu, which is 0.9.1 today.

There isn't much fun here, just the usual stages:

./configure --target-list=arm-linux-user
make
make install (as root)

Qemu requires the run-time libraries to run. The quickest way is to explode an entire package release to a root directory:

# tpkg-explode main tempdir

Warning: the postinstall scripts of the packages are not executed, which is not very important for most of the packages but the library cache file. So I manually edit etc/ld.so.conf and add the library paths there /usr/TCSL/lib.

Then I rebuild the library cache:
# ldconfig -r //tempdir

and now I can run any ARM program:

# qemu-arm -L tempdir tempdir/usr/TCSL/bin/unsls

It works great, but it does not detect memory overwrites or leaks (who told me that it could?).
It's fine, but not as a memory checker for ARM, as I intended.

No comments: